Now, this should be quite easy because, let’s face it, there is A LOT that you don’t know about me. After all, you didn’t even know what I looked like until I had a brave moment earlier this week and uploaded a selfie instead of a generic picture to my profile.
So, to give you a better idea of who it is behind this blog, I have put together 10 interesting facts about myself. Well, I say interesting… I’ll let you be the judge of that.
1. I am desperate to get fit but just don’t have the motivation to exercise. Throughout my younger years, I was a ‘skinny-minny’. I ate what I wanted, I occasionally shopped in the kids section of New Look, and I avoided the gym like the plague. Once I hit 37 though, my figure began to fill out and things began to wobble. Now, at 40, I am unhappy with those wobbly bits, and I know I need to tone up. I just can’t be bothered!
2. My favourite day of the week is Friday. Hence the name of my blog. I seem to spend the majority of my week wishing it was Friday, which is a little bit sad really, but I just love the weekends so much. I am trying to appreciate my weekdays a little more as I can’t continue wishing my life away. But Fridays will always be my fave.
3. I am neither a cat or a dog person. I love them both equally. I own two cats and have been thinking about getting a dog for a while. In fact, I’m not too sure why I’m dragging my feet. Cats are such relaxing pets to have around. They are not particularly high maintenance, yet expect to be treated like the king/queen of their domain, but you can tell when they love you. You can see it in their eyes and their actions around you. Dogs, on the other hand, adore you and make it totally obvious in their bounding, panting, enthusiastic way. As Josh Billing, aka Henry Wheeler Shaw, said, “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.” As somebody who has always had a troubled relationship with “love”, and a deep mistrust of those who proclaim it, a dog is something I definitely need in my life.
4. I hate to be late. In fact, I can probably count on my hands the amount of times I’ve been late in my 40 years of life. I would much rather be very early than even a few minutes late, and I can’t even explain why.
5. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a vampire. I’m not too sure why. I didn’t have a great desire to drink blood or anything, but it just looked really cool. The being immortal and having superhuman strength bit. Also, being able to fly. Growing up, I was addicted to anything horror-related, and had my mum record any late-night scary movies so I could watch them after school. Hammer horrors were a particular favourite – you couldn’t beat Christopher Lee as Count Dracula, hunted down by Peter Cushing’s Van Helsing. And then I discovered The Lost Boys. Vampires = cool.
6. I am a proud owner of a Resting Bitch Face. In my younger years, I was often ridiculed for looking constantly miserable, and I did not understand why. Because I wasn’t miserable, or “in a mood”, but people commenting on the fact that I looked like I was, very often put me in one! Nowadays, I embrace my RBF. After all, it is a recognised affliction, and I no longer care if strangers think I am stuck-up or aloof. Get to know me first and you will see that I definitely am not stuck-up. In fact, I’m probably one of the most down to earth people you could meet!
7. I swear more than I should. And that doesn’t mean that I have a poor vocabulary. In fact, I have an extremely varied vocabulary, but there are very few words that are as versatile and eloquent as “fuck”. Just saying.
8. I am an empath. This makes me extremely sensitive to atmosphere and emotions, so much so that I have to spend a lot of time alone to recharge my batteries. It also makes me a fantastic listener, and for a while I seriously considered becoming a counsellor.
9. I would love to be a coffee drinker. In reality, I’m not a big fan and prefer to drink tea. Or wine. Depends on the time of day. 😊
10. I have a secret crush on Jonathan Ross. It’s a purely intellectual thing – I really like his sense of humour!